Thursday, April 25, 2019

Tikona A lovely climb

I start early. At 5.45 am.
Drive 45 kms to the foothills of Tikona. I park my vehicle and start trudging upwards on the path that weaves its way upwards. The Sun just rising as it warms the crisp morning air. Climbing hills alone,  lends a touch of sanctity, not just to the  physical  but also emotional space. Falling short of breath does not cause too much concern and rewards by providing the joy of gaining height. The terrain is a mixed bag of moraine, skree, mud and rocks. Need to be careful when placing each step.   Being alone comes with the statutory warning-
You are responsible for each step and  have no one to give you a hand in case of any unforeseen event.
The path twists and turns providing different perspectives of the plains as also the fort that looms overhead.  As I'm climbing, I am thinking  about how changing perspectives is so important in  life too. As we move on, travel higher and further, paths that seemed almost impossible to navigate start revealing their accessibility. The crux lies in trudging on with persistence and resilience.
Soon I come across a beautiful stone engraving of Lord Hanuman. There is some space behind this monolithic structure.
I was almost expecting Veeru to be standing behind with that inimitable "Bhopu".
My climb eases out a bit but this respite is too transient. I see an almost vertical flight of steps carved into the huge  rock edifice. 
As I start ascending, I just marvel at the thought of how even the most intimidating massif can be tamed by sculpting out a few inches of the stone just enough to place a foot. I am reminded of doing the same to some of the most hostile and menacing events in the past. Insurmountable odds can be scaled with patience and skill to carve out footholds. Some obstacles can't be destroyed. They just need skillful navigating to climb over and move on.
The vertical stairs get me to a small plateau where I catch my breath and my determination.  At a distance, I can see the  saffron flag that's the pinnacle. But I must first climb a very narrow crest that winds up towards the flag. The last 600 meters really gets a bit strenuous. The sight of the destination however spurs me on and after a small halt, I cover the last 200 meters.
The joy and exultation of reaching the summit is so invigorating. I grab that pole that hoists the saffron flag. This flag was beckoning me every time I saw it from my farm house. I had planned so often to climb this fort and each time, it just didn't materialise.
I begin my descent after enjoying the fresh breeze and the spectacular views.
Descent again reminds me of the rather steep terrain that I climbed.  Climbing was   tiring but fraught with lesser risks. Treks reveal very subtle philosophies of life.
Descending  was easier but requires greater control and restrain.
After a short drive, I'm soon with the love of my life.  God Particle and Marshal.

No comments: