Thursday, April 25, 2019

Pulling away from the pack

Pulling Away From The Pack

I casually sent a message to my  classmate, a true blue old friend during my short stay in New York. I knew my friend stayed in the vicinity,probably about an hours drive from where I was parked.
He promptly replied and gave me the directions to get to his abode. I take the New York  metro from Penn Station and after a 50 minute ride, I reach Edison. I get off along with my wife and sure enough, I see my Dear friend Eddy waiting for me at the exit. We hug each other and after the formal introductions( he was meeting my wife for the first time) we get into his car. A 10 minute drive and we reach his beautiful cosy home, tucked away in paradise. We are  given a very warm welcome by his wife and we soon settle down in his living room.
I knew Eddy since school days. He was a very "connected" sort of a guy, did the right things, was Spiritual, good in sports, a quintessential
" Good Boy " types. 
He was a very good athlete and ran the 400 meters which was his forte. It required strategy, stamina and timing to know the precise moment of pulling away from the pack.
We did catch up in the interim , at school get togethers and reunions but those interactions were very short and perfunctory.
We had a lot of time today and it gave me an opportunity to get to know Eddy and his story in greater detail. Every person has a script of life that's so unique and fascinating. Eddy's was too. In fact much more fascinating and adventurous than I could have imagined.
 I knew he was a PHD in Biotechnology from Pune University. Thereafter he was working in Pune and then I got to know after a couple of years that he had shifted to the United States.
As Eddy embarked on his story, I noticed he was a trifle emotional. His eyes had a hint of moisture, and yet had a subtle glint.
  He decided to exit his comfort zone whilst doing a job in Pune. It was more an effort to do greater justice to his abilities as also provide a better lot to his family.
 He took off to Australia. A leap of faith. I guess because of his deep religious disposition, his faith, and of course his self confidence, he took the leap. With a young wife and 2 kids to support, it was more an act of bravado. An impulsive decision. It was not easy  Down Under.
While waiting for his first break, he utilized his culinary skills at his Sister’s restaurant and appreciated the hard work that occurs at the back-end of these wonderful food houses. Three month into a new system, he got his first appropriate break in Melbourne.
Then, after almost 2 years he got the lucky break. Out of the blue, a highly placed visiting Healthcare dignitary from the United States got in touch with Eddy with whom he had interacted with back in Pune.
 A second leap of faith. This time landing in the Big Apple with 9 suitcases and 2 kids. This time his faith was vindicated and he slowly found his niche. He worked his way and proved his mettle. There he sat in front of me. A hugely successful guy now holding a senior position, living the American Dream in the true sense. What a journey. What a story. In the course of our conversation, he hands out bits of advice. Nuggets of gold.
Never go full throttle in responding to anything in life. Run at your own pace. Know your limitations as well as your strengths.  His words lingered  in my ears like the taste of a dessert which lingers on long after it's polished off.
Eddy the sprinter in school who knew exactly when to pull away from the pack, had done the same in life. I saw the same  exultation and breathless joy in his eyes today, just as he breasted the winning tape in the 400 meters event during school days.

No comments: