Thursday, April 25, 2019

Deaddiction- A mind game

I realised my notoriety when I was respected by people more for what I have stopped doing rather than what I am doing.
It's been about 17 years since I quit smoking and about 7 years since I quit any form of alcohol. Not a drop. I have now graduated to the level of a Consultant in the domain of " Kicking the Vice"
I did not realise how difficult it really is to quit till I connected with a few who were wrestling with their vices. They were pinned down by their cravings, rendered helpless by a chemical that had weaved such an unbreachable web.
I'm asked about alternatives, like nicotine patches, any pharmaceutical preparations, psychological counselling or the role of  any spiritual master or Guru.
It got me thinking about what happened in my case. I still recollect that day. It was Ganesh Chaturthi and I was driving down from Mumbai to Pune. The weather was lovely,  I had bought a pack of 10 cigarettes early morning as I left Mumbai. I had my regular early morning Cigarette with my  cup of tea, and then two more till I reached the Ghat section. As I was driving up,  I was filled with an overwhelming disgust and anger towards myself as I lit the next cigarette. I was totally powerless, and had totally  surrendered  to this habit. The voices of my  self esteem,  ego, power of discrimination, my instinct of self preservation were all muted. It was an  instantaneous flash that made me roll down the window and chuck the cigarette out. I just threw out the cigarette, and along with it,  my helplessness, my apprehensions and my vulnerability. I was the Boss, and the Vice was my servant. Not the other way around. The remaining 5 cigarettes languished in the glove compartment for the next 3 months.
I did not want to quit by the " keep out of reach" principle. This remedy is for toddlers and  children, when we keep fragile or dangerous objects out of reach from them. The access to my vice was at my beck and call. But I chose not to indulge. It empowered me like nothing else. I dominated, controlled and treated that packet contemptuously.  The same packet that made me totally helpless, now was at my mercy. I could sense it's frustration and desperation. My stoic attitude and resolve never let me fall prey to its seduction. I never had any withdrawal symptoms. I was  much more cheerful,  after vanquishing the torturous, sadistic and enticing ways of the mind.
                 Alcohol was another demon that needed to be slayed once in for all. It's exactly 7 years ago on this day that I  beheaded that ghoul. It was probably a bit more difficult.  The desire to down a couple of pegs was really tough to control,   specially when it's an evening with friends who are reminiscing about the past, the mood is all about having a great time, and the spirits are free flowing. I used to take a dark coloured drink like a coke and tell my friends it's Rum and Coke. It would keep most of them at bay.  Initially when  those who knew me got to hear about my kicking the habit, they dismissed it off as just a passing phase that might last for a week or two at the most. Each passing day,  occasion and party that I abstained, made my resolve stronger. Life  itself gives so many  reasons to get a high. There is a lot of talk about women empowerment. Kicking the Vice is true Mans Empowerment. It really makes me stand tall, it has in no way diminished my ability to enjoy life, I'm still quite often  the Life of a party, and slowly,  I've become the object of envy by the same people who had slandered me, bad mouthed me and spread concocted stories about me. I feel extremely proud of the fact that I might be the only teetotaller in my Surgery Fraternity. I realise the value of me resolve, every time I wash up and operate on this very organ that empowers, or weakens. It is not a question of Mind over Matter. It's the power that transcends both.    It is ones ability to respect oneself. The determination to rise in ones own eyes.

No comments: