Thursday, April 25, 2019

Probing the inner depths

Exploring depths

The water looked inviting. Was shimmering in the early morning sun. As I wade into the water, I'm greeted by the cold water and I step on the unseen pebbles and prominences that aren't visible to the eye.
I continue to wade deeper into the water as I'm struck by an oncoming wave. It's just a gentle push but makes me aware of my vulnerability. I take the opportunity to submerge completely and  as the water embraces my torso, my body shivers a bit due to the rather sudden exposure to a lower temperature.
Once my body is accustomed to this temperature, I really get comfortable and let the water traverse freely all over. Then as I emerge from the water, the reverse phenomenon occurs. The moment I'm out of the water, I'm exposed to the elements and I start shivering again.
As I brace myself for the scuba dive, I'm filled with even greater trepidation. Never done this before and the rather unphysiological means of  deliberately breathing from the mouth makes this whole encounter all the more intimidating.
The oxygen cylinder  with the pipes and all the paraphernalia is strapped on. Despite my rather prosperous disposition, I'm made heavier by about 10 kgs dead weight.  To facilitate my downward journey.
The water does not permit any access to its depths. It's a bluish green that doesn't let light trespass or intrude it's privacy. I bite the mouth piece of the Scuba gear and
gently go  under consciously making that  effort to breathe with my mouth. I'm warned against breathing through my nose. If I were to use my nose to breathe, it would just  draw the mask tighter to clasp my face due to the negative pressure. The only sound is of the bubbles that escape with each exhalation. The depths of the water has a mysterious stillness. There is also the unmistakable sound of silence. My  existence mutates from the conventional awareness of my body to just a bubble  of consciousness with the same overpowering desire to rise to the surface.
I soon get the hang of this new mode of ventilating my lungs. Once this confidence sets in, I venture deeper and soon my efforts are rewarded with some incredible colours.  A shoal of small blue and white fish hurry across and disappear as suddenly as they appeared.  I keep my eyes wide open hoping to absorb as much of this spectacular aquatic universe. 
My search is interrupted by the sudden appearance of a grey blue larger fish with graceful swaying movements of its dorsal fins. It was in no hurry and was gliding so majestically. It seemed to come towards me and then in a flash, with a swift twist  of its tall made a 90 degree turn and  was gone.  I soon realised that I was now almost on the ocean floor. The sea weeds were swaying and it making  me  aware of the underwater ocean currents. There were   rounded boulders and rocks that provided refuge to the smaller aquatic creatures from predators.
My ear drums were getting stretched  and taut buckling inwards thanks to the increased hydrostatic pressure.
I was at a depth of about 20 feet.
I continued gliding almost weightlessly for the next 10 minutes. It was a lifetime experience.
As I surfaced, I realised  exploring the depths of water was as tedious and painstaking as exploring the depths of close friends. The deeper I go the greater is the revelation.

No comments: