Thursday, April 25, 2019

Slice of Life

Slice of Life -

Location- Janata Varshat Scheme
The venue- A Ram Temple which has an extended Patio like hall which can accommodate about 75 people.
The dwellers of this area are largely from the underprivileged section of society, living in rudimentary dwellings which are totally unauthorised. Incidence of alcoholism, domestic violence, illiteracy is very high. Provides a very fertile environment to propagate criminal tendencies and is noted as a hotbed for notorious chargesheeters and excons.
             
Rewind to 3 months ago.
A friend of mine Mr. Nitin Karandikar, who selflessly works for these underprivileged segments,had  requested me to help a young lady of 19 years, who had a 1 year old infant, and was deserted by her husband when she was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. The tumor had been operated in a local hospital about a year ago, but was probably only biopsied. The lady was told that it was almost inoperable and whatever was possible was done. The lady was almost blind in both her eyes thanks to the tumor, that had caused severe compression of the optic pathways.
      A fresh MRI revealed, the tumor had mushroomed and had spread quite a bit.
She needed surgery to decompress the optic nerves in the least, and resect the tumor as much as was possible. She had absolutely no resources,  financial, moral,  social, and was a helpless soul.
   Thanks to the privilege of being a professor and HOD neurosurgery in a teaching institute ( D Y Patil hospital and medical research center) I admitted the lady under my care and went in by a trans nasal endoscope assisted approach. The facilities and equipment available in my institution, are state of art and comparable to any corporate hospital.  We resected a sizeable portion of the tumor till we could  partially see the decompressed optic pathway. She had a few post operative issues, that arose because of handling the pituitary stalk but settled in 48 hours.
She was discharged on the 6th post operative day.
When she came for follow up after 6 weeks, she had significant recovery of vision in her left eye, whilst her  right eye did not show as much improvement. She was 'visibly' thrilled at being able to see quite clearly. The residual tumor was going to need radiation and possibly, surgical excision by a trans cranial route.
The lady was a resident of Janata vasahat scheme.
A few weeks later, I got a call from the social worker, who was serving this  area and was involved in the treatment.
She requested if I could be a guest at a prize distribution function of a drawing contest held for the children of the locality. I agreed. I was given due reminders about the function.

Today-
 I reached Janata Vasahat  today at 5 pm.
It was truly a heart warming sight to be greeted by about 50 school going kids who were clapping furiously when they announced my arrival. As I took my appointed seat, the police inspector of the nearby police station, a few representatives of the locally operational NGOs, a local leader working in environmental conservation were also  present to receive me. I was asked to say a few words after being introduced as the Surgeon, who restored the vision of the young lady. The local satrap, who made a few political jibes passed some rather derogatory comments about the existing medical scenario. He probably had a point. I do believe that philanthrophy of any kind should be subtle, underplayed  and never tomtommed. I did  have serious thoughts about posting such self glorifying acts, but I feel, it helps in restoring some faith and respect about our fraternity, which is largely viewed as being money centric, and even at times callous. This was rather unambiguously stated by one of the social workers in his 2 minute speech. It caused a heartache to see the general impression of the vast majority about our so called
Noble Profession. Needless to clarify, the surgery and the hospitalization was totally free, as were the medicines. This can happen only in our country. For all the technological advances and progress made by the west, this kind of extreme philanthropy and humanitarianism is possible only in Gods own country.
           I was given a sapling of the Tulsi plant by the same lady, whom I had  operated. It was so gratifying to see the lady, with a beaming smile. It was a truly humbling experience. Humbling because, I will never know why I was chosen to be the operating surgeon and the lady the one with the tumor. It could well have been the other way around. I just thank the  Lord for making me the instrument of effecting a part of that  lady's destiny, as also choosing me, to be what I am today.

Dr Deepak Ranade

No comments: