Thursday, April 25, 2019

The measurement paradox

Heisenberg's uncertainty principle.

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a law in quantum mechanics that limits how accurately you can measure two related variables. ... Heisenberg explained this using something called the observer effect, which says that the very act of measuring one value affects the other, and therefore introduces some uncertainty. A simple explanation is as follows-
    Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to measure the position and linear momentum of an electron simultaneously with great accuracy. If there will be certainty in position, there will be uncertainty in linear momentum and vice-versa. Greater knowledge we have about one parameter of the electron comes at the cost of lesser knowledge about the other parameter.
           On the scratch pads of our minds, we often make some assessments, calculations about life, measurements about our relationships. It becomes amply evident, that these calculations and measurements are based on certain variables. The two most common variables that affect our lives are
What I want in life
When do I want it.
      The desire to get  what I want might be fulfilled, but at the cost of not getting it when I want. And at a chosen moment, what I have is not what I desire at that moment. I can either choose the moment, or then what I want. The more I know what I want, the lesser can I insist on getting it when I want. And the more accurately I choose a moment, the lesser will I be satisfied with what I have at that moment.  It is almost impossible to have control to get the object of ones desire at a  chosen moment. Uncertainty is as inevitable as life.
          Can we really measure up variables and thereafter compute a plan of action?
      The “measurement problem” has been called “the most controversial problem in physics today”. The problem arises because Quantum Mechanics  states that only the presence of an Observer validates any event. It doesn’t offer a picture of reality when no one is looking. It talks about superpositions.  Can it be that nothing really happens — that there are only probabilities? And when the Observer does observe, his observations and measurements present an altered state.
So, it's like we create our own universe, and also alter it simultaneously without realising it.
I realise, at the end of it all, it's best not to choose. Neither the moment, nor what I want. Just flow along and live life without distorting it by  making any attempts to calculate or measure. Liberation is making a choice of not choosing and measuring. It is all about just being in the moment without expectations or judgements.

No comments: