Thursday, April 9, 2020

Aviophobia

Aviophobia

I had and possibly still suffer from a pathological fear of flying. It was hard to deal with. The moment I set foot into the aircraft, my stress levels would shoot, I would be very edgy, have palpitations, which would reach a crescendo when the aircraft started taxing for takeoff. I would hold the arm rest tightly, close my eyes, and pray. This fear of mine had become a matter of amusement to my friends and relatives, and a source of embarrassment to me. The fear would turn to panic at the slightest hint of turbulence.
My ears would strain to catch any announcement on the public address system. In the shaking, aircraft that was experiencing turbulence, I would imagine  that at any moment now, the oxygen masks would drop down, and the pilot would soon announce about the impending disaster and how he is trying his best to salvage the situation. I would never miss any episode of the "Air Crash Investigation" series on Natgeo. It was to primarily familiarise me with all the signs and signals of events that preceded a crash. I took efforts to understand weather disturbances, phenomenon like microbursts, air pockets, cumulonimbus clouds, low pressure tracks left behind by an earlier aircraft. I had taken trouble to understand navigation,Instrument landing systems, alerons, rudders, altimeters, artificial horizon, and a host of other aviation terminologies. Flying fascinated me like nothing else, and yet instilled a deep fear.
Everytime a plane flew over, I would be overcome with awe at the scientific and technological progress made by man.
A commercial jet weighing tonnes, flying at 1000 kms an hour 40000 feet up in the skies was just incredulous.
            As time passed, I gradually learnt to live with this fear, and cope up with it. Prior to 2011, when I used to drink alcohol, I had used it as a very effective measure to get sloshed. I still remember the flight to Los Angeles from Seoul, a trans Pacific long distance flight, where I almost passed out after consuming a couple of bottles of  Sojo ( is a locally made drink from rice, that if taken without diluting and is really very potent)and woke up just a few minutes before landing. A very cowardly solution I might add.
        After 2011, I could not resort to this chemical to help me deal with my fear.
       I then decided to take charge of my thought process and exorcise this fear. I had to, if I wanted to travel and see the world.
The fear was largely due to my imagination running wild. It was also to a great extent related to my impotence to deal with any contingency. It was a fear, based on lack of trust in the pilot, the technology, the safety features.
And then, one day, i realised the journey of  life is so similar to traveling in an aircraft.
The controls are totally in the hands of an unknown pilot. All one can do is trust and enjoy the experience. There are going to be turbulent times, when one has to just hold tight, keep ones nerves and not let imagination take charge.
Fear is largely fueled by imagination. The "what if" distorts the clarity of  intelligence.
Accepting reality is not so difficult. Dealing with imaginary situations often is the principle cause of fear and stress.
Having faith in ones abilities to deal with any situation if it arises should replace the imaginary "What ifs".
One has to buckle up the seat belt, recline the backrest and enjoy the journey.

Dr. Deepak Ranade

No comments: