Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Art of Being No one


The Art of Being No one


At a get together, my father's friends were gloating about how their sons were so well placed and were rubbing shoulders with the high and mighty.
They were really priding themselves about how they made their offsprings become someone and how they themselves led by setting an example for their kids. They were showing off how they had reached big positions by the time of their retirement which inspired their kids
My father was asked about what kind of an example he set for his successors.
 My father replied"I retired from a very senior  position at the age of 65. I had made enough to live comfortable. My son  qualified as a neurosurgeon and was well set with his own Hospital and was doing well for himself. But he had developed a huge ego and had become arrogant.
I had fuelled his ego by appreciating his degrees, and status in society. That probably was becoming his undoing. I decided to start a new business at the age of 65. I began in an area where no one knew me and I had to begin as a nobody. It was extremely difficult. My son was at his wits end by my decision.
He asked me why was I doing something at this point and at a place where no one knew me. I would have to go to meet clients and sit outside their offices which was very humiliating for me and him as well."
My father continued-
"All parents teach their children to become someone. Its excruciatingly  difficult  to begin all over again as a nobody. Identities are great but if one  becomes a slave of that identity then the identity works to our detriment. The real Master  is one who can discard this cloak at will and yet identify with the true Self who exists independent of any robe.
I am trying to teach my Son  the art  of being 'No One' ."

No comments: