Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The Zen of Cycling

The Zen of Cycling.

 I wake up at 4.30 am and think of hitting the pedal by 5.30. The  thought of straining and stretching the quadriceps on a climb makes my mind refractory to getting up. I kill it's resistance with my determination and quickly get into my cycling attire. I pick up my bottle of water, place it in the slot and am off on this 21 speed light weight beauty. My leg muscles are as reluctant as my mind and start complaining almost immediately. I just ignore their grumblings and over the next few minutes, they yield a bit and become a little more compliant. As  the monotony of pedalling continues, the joints and the muscles start coordinating and soon, a rhythm sets in. My favorite song to begin any exercise routine- 'Eye of the Tiger" is blaring in my headphones. My mind has been partially tamed into submission. There are some fleeting thoughts about the surgery that is scheduled, followed by some memories of the yesterday. The mind curses a bit as I hit a climb. The psycho- somatic disagreement causes discomfort. The mind  lazy and relaxed and the muscles all taut and contracted. I whip my mind into submission and ensure that it contracts along with my muscles. This causes smoother movements, by eliminating any resistance.
FIRST ZEN MOMENT-  MIND BODY COORDINATION INCREASES MECHANICAL ADVANTAGE and DECREASES FATIGUE.
 I egg myself on and get into the lower gear setting to negotiate the climb. Driving wheel to driven wheel ratio- 2×4.
The frequency of pedaling becomes a bit furious. The gears actually just decrease the effort per rotation of  pedalling. This gets compensated by the increased frequency of pedalling. The net amount of work done remains unchanged. The second  Zen moment.
TOTAL EFFORT REMAINS CONSTANT. GEARS ONLY INCREMENTALLY DECREASE THE EFFORT OF EACH STEP, BUT INCREASE THE NUMBER OF STEPS PROPORTIONATELY.
The climb is negotiated and soon my quadriceps are really screaming. I ease the pedaling as I hit the plains and to my utter delight, I see the road dipping down. Now, I have to start applying the brakes as my momentum starts picking up thanks to the great affinity gravity has for my large frame. The speed of descent mandates greater caution to avoid any small stones that can throw me off balance.
The Third ZEN moment.
DESCENT  REQUIRES LESSER PHYSICAL EFFORT BUT GREATER SKILL AND CAUTION.
I get back to plain ground and then I realise that the pedaling was going on reflexly,and  involuntarily. The body had yielded and surrendered totally. There was not an iota of pain or resistance.The fourth Zen moment.
 PAIN IS ENTIRELY A CONSTRUCT OF THE MIND. 
My  25 km routine was soon coming to close as I headed for the home stretch.
I was celebrating a victory over my mind, that was so resistant to begin this routine. And then, this notorious mind turns to me and says- 'See, how nice it feels after a great morning work out' .
I end my routine with the last Zen moment.
NEVER TRUST THE DOUBLE FACED MIND.

DR. DEEPAK RANADE.

No comments: